Thursday, January 11, 2007

I never thought

... I would professionally work with Unix or Linux. But I do now. I never thought it would be such a pain, basically because people that work with them expect you to be an expert on it. I can't tell you that right now, but I am intermediate right now. Perhaps.

These "experts" have taught me a big deal of shell, but none of them agree which is the best. I chose bash because it was the one that had more easy support. I won't start writting code on it like crazy, but whenever I need I will try.

I am basically about to not use Windows at home either. Allowing kids and wife to have Windows 98 for their fun. All that I need is to get my WinModem working on Linux.

One of the signs of age is when you realize that doing something just because it is hard just does not matther. So, if I was young, I would try slackware, but I will be happy with Red Hat 9, which runs well at my AMD K7 1 GHz 128Mbytes of RAM. With GNOME. KDE was very slow. I like GNOME so I don't mind.

There is also some tricky C++ code that I have had to write. I never thought some of it would give me troubles, but these lines use polymorphism like hell and thus a few times require a great deal of casting. It is scary.

BTW, if you know how to teach an old and big fan of ANSI C programming like me how to undertsand design patterns go ahead and drop me a line.

No comments: