Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Motherboards, USB ports and Windows

I have bought a USB programmer for AVR from a Brazilian electronics store. Imagine my excitement to test it after realizing that a simple parallel port programmer for AVR was not working. Then I connected the programmer to my ATMega8 and .....

USP programmer not recognized? Hell, didn't I install all those drivers? Wasn't this USB port working for my pendrive and Palm zire? I assumed I had made some mistake on the board and - fortunatelly I am using a breadboard - assembled it all again and it still did not work.

The, I recall how hard was to make a USB port to connect to Motorola phones while I worked there and switched for the other port behind the PC and....

It works.  Who is to blame ? ASUS or Windows XP? By the way, I tried to compile the simplest code possible by using WinAVR on Vista, but I ended up finding out that in certain versions of Vista, WinAVR does not work.

Man, please don't waste time with parallel port programmers if you are using AVR. Trust me.

No comments: